Exploring careers before you select a college will help you find the school that best fits your career interests and goals. Follow these steps to get started:
Step 1 – Learn more about your interests and skills.
Complete at least two interest and skill assessments to learn about careers that might be a good match.
Use free online tools including:
– High Wage, High Demand, High Skill Jobs
Use the Career Cruising Profiler at EducationQuest.
Step 2 – Do some research.
Research potential careers based on your assessment results.
Review the career clusters diagram that defines the six broad “career fields” and the 16 “career clusters”
Step 3 – Develop a career plan.
Map out the education and training you’ll need for your future career.
– Use Reality Check at EducationQuest to determine if your potential career choices will provide the lifestyle you desire.
– Talk to your school counselor about college majors that will help you reach your career goal.
– Use College Profiles at EducationQuest to find schools that offer your potential major(s).
– Participate in activities that match your career interests such as school clubs, community service, job shadowing, internships, and part-time jobs.